Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

I am back to posting, O Best Beloved, and I thank you for checking on me during my hiatus. Your patience -and you know who you are- is much appreciated.

We've watched several movies, but instead of trying to go back and put them on the day they were watched I'm just going to write them up today.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen , part of a thematic trio directed by Terry Gilliam, is loosely based on stories written in the 1700's (but, again, indebted to earlier tales) of the real-life baron. Time Bandits and Brazil are the other 2 in this "trilogy of the imagination".

This has been made into several movies over the years beginning in 1911. While I can't find any of the early films online here's a trailer for the 1943 version:



Here's a short clip of the Gilliam version (spoiler alert):



Star Trek connection: John Neville, who plays the Baron in this film, was Isaac Newton in an episode of ST:TNG. Also, the supervising producer of The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is set to be one of the executive producers of the upcoming (11th) Star Trek movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment