Friday, June 08, 2007

Old Scores

I'm having a run of good luck with mysteries -I liked this one. Old Scores is the third in Aaron Elkins' Chris Norgren mystery series. The other 2 don't seem to still be in print. The art world is a foreign land to me, though I was familiar with many of the artists mentioned. There was a sub-plot involving his love interest, but I thought it detracted from rather than added to the book. I didn't find those sections interesting, and I didn't think it expanded much on the character, if that was the point.

from the back of the book:

It's an art world coup: the discovery of an unknown Rembrandt. Rene Vachey, the famed collector who made the find, wants to make it a gift to the Seattle Art Museum, but curator Chris Norgren is wary. Vachey is infamous in art circles for perpetuating scandalous shams. Thanks to a web of strings attached to Vachey's donation, even Rembrandt expert Chris can't be certain that the painting is genuine. But there's no doubt that the bullet soon found in Vachey's head is authentic. And there's no telling how much time Chris has to find the truth about the "masterpiece" -and the murder- before he's painted into a corner by a master in the art of killing....

No comments:

Post a Comment