Friday, April 04, 2008

1924 Peter Pan

I found a used copy of the Kino edition of the 1924 Adolph Zukor Peter Pan. I love it when I find dvd bargains like that.

It felt a bit odd to be "yanked" out of the British context by hearing talk of the "stars and stripes" and descriptions of how "American gentlemen" should act and seeing the American flag raised to take the place of the jolly roger. Other than that, I liked this silent film. The actors were great, and I was impressed by the special effects.



Here is a page focusing on the actress who played Peter Pan here, and it includes some stills from the film.

*******
9/9/2008: in response to Andrew's comment below... That is fascinating! That possibility had just never occurred to me, but I love knowing about it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:31 AM

    True story: they filmed more than 20 different flags on the flagpole for local versions around the world. So no yanking required back in 1924...

    ReplyDelete