Monday, April 14, 2008

Rachel Carson


Today is the anniversary of the death in 1964 of Rachel Carson. I remember discovering her book Silent Spring while I was in high school, and it impressed me to the point where I was a real pain around the house, mentioning its relevant points whenever the opportunity arose. I remember when DDT was banned here partly in response to that book. It didn't take me long to discover some of her other works: Under the Sea Wind, The Sea Around Us and The Edge of the Sea.

Her birthplace has a website. She has a website here. Time named her one of the 100 most influential people of the century. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services site has a page devoted to her which includes many helpful links. Bill Moyers looks at her life and legacy. She is a charter inductee of Ecotopia's Ecology Hall of Fame.

This is a 2-minute intro to her work:

No comments:

Post a Comment