Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Truth and Consequences

Years ago I read and loved Foreign Affairs, Alison Lurie's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, so when I saw her Truth and Consequences for a buck at Dollar Tree I snatched it up and put it on the top of my TBR stack. I enjoy her writing style. It flows and enables the story without calling attention to itself.

Bookslut hits the nail on the head with a review that closes with "This is a quiet story about real people in a place that is imaginable, but what Lurie asks the reader to do is look at themselves and extrapolate this story onto their lives."

The NYTimes review is here. The Spectator reviews it here. There's a reading guide at Penguin.

I can't remember the last time I heard the word "widdershins" outside of a fairy tale, but reading it had a big impact on how I read the novel and read the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment