Sunday, September 27, 2009

Their Eyes Were Watching God

I looked over my shelves in search of a book from the banned classics list that I hadn't already read, and all I could find were Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston and Ulysses by James Joyce. I picked the Hurston book to read in observance of Banned Books Week.

from Wikipedia:
Their Eyes Were Watching God is a 1937 novel and the best-known work by African American writer Zora Neale Hurston. Set in central and southern Florida in the early 20th century, the novel garnered attention and controversy at the time of its publication, and has come to be regarded as a seminal work in both African American literature and women's literature. Time included the novel in its TIME 100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005.

There are several reviews from the time of the book's publication here.

No comments:

Post a Comment