Monday, May 31, 2010

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built


I'm not sure how, but I completely skipped the 9th book in this series. I'll rectify that soon. Tea Time for the Traditionally Built is the 10th book in the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. I have read books from some of the other series by this author and have not liked them at all, but I get a big kick out of these.

from the back of the book:
In this latest installment in the endlessly entertaining series, Precious Ramotswe faces problems both personal and professional.

The first is the potential demise of an old friend, her tiny white van. Recently, it has developed a rather troubling knock, but she dare not consult the estimable Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni for fear he may condemn the vehicle. Meanwhile, her talented assistant Mma Makutsi is plagued by the reappearance of her nemesis, Violet Sephotho, who has taken a job at the Double Comfort Furniture store whose proprietor is none other than Phuti Radiphuti, Mma Makutsi’s fiancĂ©. Finally, the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency has been hired to explain the unexpected losing streak of a local football club, the Kalahari Swoopers. But with Mma Ramotswe on the case, it seems certain that everything will be resolved satisfactorily

I've read these others from this series:

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Tears of the Giraffe
Morality for Beautiful Girls
The Kalahari Typing School for Men
The Full Cupboard of Life
In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
Blue Shoes and Happiness
The Good Husband from Zebra Drive

2 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with this author or book, but from time to time I really do enjoy a well-written "mystery novel" and so can appreciate your interest. Maugham and LeCarre and Robert Westbrook are some of the author's I've picked up.

    Where is this novel set? The Kalahari Swoopers made me wonder, further puzzled by other titles in the series you mention, such as Tears of the Giraffe and Zebra Drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They take place in Botswana. These are not crime-driven or suspenseful or fast-moving novels. I'd describe them more as pleasant, low-key, character-driven stories.

    ReplyDelete