Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Late Great Planet Earth

I remember when The Late Great Planet Earth by Hal Lindsey came out in 1970. There were a few of us who got a kick out of looking up and trying to make sense of all his Biblical references. I was a Christian of the mainstream protestant sort, and had trouble making the Bible say what he said it did, but his take on things was fascinating. My fascination didn't last long, though I kept the book for years -along with Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods?- but some people stayed with it. At one church I attended there was a man who brought that book along with his Bible any time we were going to look at anything related to the End Times. Our study of the book of the Revelation was colored by his use of the Lindsey book as a serious commentary on the Bible, and, I swear, I think he held Lindsey in almost equal reverence. It comes up now because I see from Film Chat that the video of the 1979 documentary based on the book is up at youtube in 17 parts. In looking, I find it in one piece at google video:


The video is narrated by Orson Welles.

I wish I had kept the book, though, because the subsequent editions have changed remarkably to keep current, as time after time the older editions were just plain wrong.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:03 AM

    I actually spent money to see this thing in a theater when it was released. I went out of self-defense, figuring everyone at church would see it and be talking about it. I never heard it mentioned.

    A Pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard of it before. Either that or I have had a total memory lapse, which could well be the case.

    ReplyDelete