Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Have you ever been discriminated against because of your race?


I can't tell you how meaningless this question is when asked of white people in small group settings as a prelude to discussion on race. My answer is "yes". Because when I was a child I experienced this twice. Did it have an impact on me? Yes. After all, decades later I still recall both instances with surprising clarity. Does it mean I now understand what it's like to be part of a group that faces constant, entrenched racial discrimination? Hell, no. The question itself is so stupid it boggles the mind. There must be a better discussion-starter to get the point across.

1 comment:

  1. It kind of depends on the age group, each generation we move further and further from the pervasive discrimination that was once the norm.

    ReplyDelete