Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vengeance (1970)

Vengeance is a 1970 martial arts film made in Hong Kong. It stars David Chiang and Ti Lung and is directed by Chang Cheh. There are a lot of knives in this one. I'm hard-pressed to remember any fight scenes that didn't include knives. As a series of knife fights, it can't be beat. I did have some trouble keeping the characters and plot straight. The woman who plays the romantic interest reminds me enough of Shirley Temple that I find her appearance onscreen always distracts me from the plot. I'm not sure what it is about the actress' face, but every time I see her I think of Shirley Temple.

youtube has it online:


Chop Socky Cinema closes its review with this:
Vengeance! served as a milestone in brutal action cinema influencing many other great films to come, but had an impact in its time, with David Chiang and Chang Cheh winning awards, for best actor and best director, respectively. A visceral bloodshed epic.
Gotterdammerung has a detailed plot description with screen shots.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:35 AM

    "...A visceral bloodshed epic..."
    How can you go wrong with such a recommendation?!
    -- A Pal

    ReplyDelete