Sunday, September 23, 2012

Harumafuji Wins Autumn Grand Sumo Tournament

Harumafuji has won the Autumn tournament 15-0, winning his final bout against Hakuho. The Asashi Shinbun Asia & Japan Watch opens their article with this:
In the best final-day showdown in years, Mongolia's Harumafuji outlasted arch-rival Hakuho to win his second straight tournament with a perfect 15-0 record and assure himself of promotion to sumo's highest rank--ending Hakuho's two-and-a-half year run as the sport's only yokozuna.
The Japan Times quotes the victor:
"Today I squeezed out every drop of strength I have and I am glad I could respond to the expectations people had in me," Harumafuji said. "I want to continue and wrestle in a way that moves peoples and provides them with courage and hope."
You can watch videos of the tournament via this JasonsInJapan Youtube channel, including this clear and understandable coverage of the final bout by a huge fan of the winner:

 

 The photo at the top of the post is from Wikipedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment