Monday, November 05, 2012

The Hunt for Red October

The Hunt for Red October is a 1990 political thriller based on a Tom Clancy novel. The film stars Sean Connery, a very young-looking Alec Baldwin, Tim Curry, James Earl Jones, Scott Glenn, Sam Neill, Joss Ackland, Peter Firth, Stellan Skarsgard, Jeffrey Jones, Fred Thompson, Daniel Davis (who was Moriarty in ST: TNG), Sven-Ole Thorsen, Gates McFadden (from ST: TNG), Ned Vaughn (who was in a ST: TNG episode) and many others. I've seen this film several times, and it always holds my interest. I love the actors, and I relish Tim Curry in his small part. This is one of The Younger Son's favorite movies.

trailer:

 

Rolling Stone doesn't like it, saying, "If the plodding exposition doesn't get you first, the propaganda will." DVD Talk says it "is practically perfect, dated only in some of its Cold War ideology." Roger Ebert calls it "a skillful, efficient film". Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 95%.

2 comments:

  1. I used to own this - on a red VHS cassette tape! I enjoyed it, although looking back, it's weird to see Alec Baldwin with dark hair. I'm a major Tim Curry fan!

    Thank you for reading and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thx! my youngest is a big fan of this series, mainly because of this film. and we love tim curry. he's priceless in such a wide variety of roles.

      Delete