Monday, February 25, 2013

Fire & Desire


Porcelain has never been of particular interest to me. It's pretty, but I think most of it is pretty and am not discriminating. The Dixon Gallery has a nice porcelain collection, but I never pay much attention to it.

I was recently there anyway to look at a sculpture exhibit, so I spent some time looking at these lovely pieces. The web site says of the Fire & Desire: A Passion for Porcelain in the Eighteenth Century exhibit:
In celebration of the completion of the long-awaited Stout Catalogue of 18th Century German Porcelain, the Dixon is bringing the world-renowned Stout Collection out of the Stout Gallery and into our main exhibition space, re-examining the collection's rich diversity of form and theme.
In the main exhibit space they were playing Bach's Coffee Cantata, I'm sure to accompany the coffee sets on display:



I think my favorite piece may have been The Four Seasons (1775-1780) by Hochst, which I can't find a picture of online.

No comments:

Post a Comment