Saturday, February 09, 2013

The Rains Came

I went to The Grandmother's place earlier than usual yesterday morning and stayed longer, but she seemed better. She needs to eat more to keep her weight from dropping, but nothing I do or have done over the years has any affect on her eating. Three medications to improve her appetite have failed. She's up to 4 Boost Plus supplements a day but eats less and less solid food with each passing month. I managed to get her weight up a few years ago after she got home from a post-fall stay in re-hab, but it didn't take long for her to slip back into old habits and start losing again. It's scary and frustrating and she will not listen to me.

At any rate, while I was at her place I saw The Rains Came, which I had never seen before. It is based on a book by the same name. The 1955 remake was not as faithful to the book as this 1939 version. I love Maria Ouspenskaya, and she was wonderful as the Maharani in this story of star-crossed romance in 1930s India. There are impressive scenes of earthquake and flooding, and Wikipedia says, "It became the first film to win an Academy Award for Best Special Effects, beating out The Wizard of Oz for the same Oscar." Myrna Loy, Tyrone Power and Nigel Bruce also star. Mother didn't like it at all for some reason, which surprised me. I'd have thought it would've been something she would like.

trailer:



 Tired Old Queen at the Movies has a fun review:

 

TCM has an overview

No comments:

Post a Comment