Thursday, March 14, 2013

Comet PanSTARRS

I tried to see the comet PanSTARSS last night, taking The Boys and 2 pair of binoculars out into the courtyard. I followed the instructions given at this Memphis weather site. We had a decent enough view of the sky from where we were, but we didn't see any hint of the comet. I'll try again tonight. My guess is that we'd have better luck getting out away from the city lights a bit.

The crescent moon was pretty, though.


The crescent moon photo above is from NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center flickr stream. It was taken from the space station. I wish I could take pictures of the moon that looked like anything, but mine don't turn out nearly pretty enough to post.

4 comments:

  1. Our weather guy said we could see it at 7:45 and that Thursday was the last chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you get to see it? i tried again last night (thursday) but didn't see anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´ve been trying to see it, but it´s too close to the horizon. And, we´ve had this milky haze across the sky, which I think is the un-pretty version of the aurora. Oh well. The can´t all be like Hale-Bopp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember hale-bopp! that one was easy to see even in the city.

    i didn't manage to see pan-starrs, but i didn't leave the city to try a place with a darker sky.

    ReplyDelete