Monday, April 08, 2013

Brooks Museum Yarn Bombed


The Brooks Art Museum was yarn-bombed.


Memphis Knit Mafia claimed responsibility for the Brooks installation.


I learned how to knit when The Kids were little as part of the Oak Meadow Teacher Training Course, which doesn't appear to be offered now, but I never made anything after my learning exercises. Maybe if I'd known about yarn bombing, I'd have seen more purpose to it.


The pieces line the walk all the way to the entrance.


The weather has been unseasonably cold, and this walkway of cheer brightened up my day!



6 comments:

  1. Was this vandalism or commissioned artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:41 AM

    Hey there,
    I have found your great blog. Enjoyed to read your posts and stories.
    I was wondering if you would be interested in sharing your posts and ideas on Glipho? It's a quite new social publishing platform for bloggers, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the type of bombing I can handle. It adds to society and doesn't destroy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bob, the brooks museum was in on it. it was themed to go along with their current exhibit. it'll be up a while longer and then be removed.

    monika, i appreciate the offer, but i've never heard of glipho.

    tbm, yes, when you hear the word "bomb" you can't do better than this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guerilla knitting is such a great idea! I´m an enthusiastic knitter myself - or has been - but a bit too utilitarian to waste my efforts on art. I´m supportive of those who do, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. viktoria, the knitting installation was quite suitable to this art exhibit. it'll look bare out there with it gone. they knit golden manes for a couple of lions on the side of the building. great fun!

    ReplyDelete