Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cornbread, Molasses and Sassafras Tea

This particular rendition of Cornbread, Molasses and Sassafras Tea:



is sung by Lonzo and Oscar.

excerpt:
Come here, girls, and listen to my noise:
Don’t you marry an Arkansas boy;
Marry a feller from Tennessee;
And eat cornbread, molasses and sassafras tea,
Cornbread, molasses and sassafras tea.

Traveled all over this whole wide world,
Eat a lot of cooking from a lot of pretty girls,
But there's none like Tennessee
With cornbread, molasses and sassafras tea
Cornbread, molasses and sassafras tea
My cornbread recipe has molasses in it, but I haven't had sassafras tea in a coon's age.

4 comments:

  1. For some reason this makes me think of my grandfather. Not that he ever listened to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's an old song. i remember hearing it as a child here in tennessee and thinking how funny it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this! Reminds me of that Cohen-film with George Clooney, "O Brother, where art thou" or some such title.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we love that film! this does have that sound to it.

    ReplyDelete