Friday, April 12, 2013

Getting Dressed Up Is Just Not My Thing

I've been reading that Chez Philippe and Restaurant Iris have been judged among the Most Romantic restaurants in the country. I'm happy for them and happy for Memphis. I've heard of them both but never been to either. I'm sure the food can't be beat and the atmosphere is sublime, but have you looked at those prices? Wow! That's a bit beyond my desire to pay. I mean, I could save up and not eat out anywhere else for a while, but this is just not what I'm interested in doing.

I remember proms and sorority dances and certain other things I had to "dress" for, but I much prefer pizza and bbq and picnics. When I get to pick where I want to go for our anniversary or for Valentine's Day -and I always get to pick ;)- my choice tends to be something along the line of Central BBQ for ribs. When my family would want to take me out to eat for Mother's Day, I always chose a picnic. It's what I like best.

I do have some clothes I can dress up in. Nothing formal, mind you, but nice enough to eat in a fancy restaurant. It's just that I don't want to go there. I trace it back to the night my parents sent my then-boyfriend now-husband and me to The Four Flames restaurant for dinner for a birthday present. We were seated next to the kitchen, the china was chipped, the staff was condescending, and the food was a perfectly acceptable ordinary meal. And it cost a fortune.


(photo of the Four Flames from Memphis Daily News)

I can do better than that.

4 comments:

  1. When the wife and I eat out we tend to choose places where we can dine for less than 40 dollars with a generous tip. Dressing up is optional,you can choose to dress up if you feel the occasion warrants better attire and go to McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i remember we were going to a sorority dance once, all dressed up in our finest, and a group of us went to a pizza place for supper. lol. i much prefer places where dressing up is optional to those where dressing up is required.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I´m totally with you on this! When we got married in Paris (at the Swedish embassy) we then went to a "dirty tablecloth" fondue place in St Germaine and had the best meal.

    Fancy food is wasted on me, I prefer a hearty meat stew with boiled potatoes and vegetables. And beer. And after every banquet we have ever been to at the university (where the husband works), we´ll end the evening (in ballgown and tails) at Max hamburger restaurant. Duck´s breast artfully arranged with shitake mushrooms of microscopic size &cetera just doesn´t do it for me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fancy food is wasted on me."

    i agree. it's pretty, i'll grant it that, but i just don't value "fancy" enough to dress to suit it and pay the premium price.

    and i'd rather not leave hungry, which happens if portions are "microscopic".

    ReplyDelete