Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Young Land

The Young Land is a 1959 Western (the '50s was a good era for Westerns, it seems) starring Patrick Wayne (son of John Wayne), Dennis Hopper, Yvonne Craig (who has a ST:TOS connection as an insane green Orion, was in one of the James Coburn Flint movies, and was Batgirl in the 1960s Batman TV series), Ken Curtis (best known as Festus on Gunsmoke).

The score is written by Dimitri Tiomkin (Lost Horizon, High Noon, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957), Rio Bravo (1959), and The Alamo (1960), Dial M for Murder, The Thing, the theme song for the Rawhide series).

Seeing who was involved in this, I thought it'd be good. Suffice it to say, this one isn't on anybody's "best of" list. It's slow, the acting is sadly lackluster and flat, the music is intrusive.... "Strange are the ways of love"? Please. Spare me. At some point I gave up on this. I found it too irritating even to have it playing in the background.

via youtube:



or watch it at the Internet Archive.

TCM has an overview. Rotten Tomatoes doesn't have a critics score; the audience score is 25%.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been a western fan. When I was young, I used to pretend I was on a wagon crossing Kansas. That's why I can't understand why I don't care for westerns. Maybe it was the violence, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i tend to like westerns. nostalgia, maybe. there are so many different types, and i do like some types better than others.

    ReplyDelete