Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fantasy Film Recommendations

This list of "Fantasy Movies You Should See" is from SF Site (probably via SF Signal, but I don't honestly remember):
The Thief of Bagdad (1924, d. Raoul Walsh)
King Kong (1933, d. Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack)
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958, d. Nathan H. Juran)
The Exterminating Angel (1962, d. Luis Buñuel)
The Spirit of the Beehive (1973, d. Victor Erice)
A Chinese Ghost Story (1987, d. Ching Siu-tung)
Paperhouse (1988, d. Bernard Rose)
Truly, Madly, Deeply (1990, d. Anthony Minghella)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999, d. Michael Hoffman)
Big Fish (2003, d. Tim Burton)
It's intended as a response to the Rotten Tomatoes list, as he says he:
decided to offer my own list of great fantasy movies as a companion piece -- and, in some cases, an antidote to what Rotten Tomatoes cobbled together. I decided against offering my own ten-best, for the simple reason that (a) the truly great selections already have a place on the previous list and (b) are entries you should already be familiar with. (Seriously, haven't you already seen The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Harry Potter series, The Princess Bride, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Princess Mononoke?) My only real criteria, this time, was to select movies that did not appear on Rotten Tomatoes' list. Hopefully you'll find something of interest in these selections.
I've seen the ones in bold print and have heard of Exterminating Angel and that version of Midsummer Night's Dream. I haven't heard of the others, but his descriptions motivate me to seek them out. Big Fish is one of my favorite movies.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:29 AM

    I haven't seen Chinese Ghost Story or any of the movies you haven't seen/
    --A Pal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i enjoyed chinese ghost story. you'd like the lack of blood and gore ;)

      Delete