Saturday, October 19, 2013

Quentin Tarantino's List of the 12 Greatest Films of All Time

Open Culture has a list of Quentin Tarantino's list of 12 greatest films of all time:
Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979)
The Bad News Bears (Michael Ritchie, 1976)
Carrie (Brian de Palma, 1976)
Dazed and Confused (Richard Linklater, 1993)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Sergio Leone, 1966)
The Great Escape (John Sturges, 1963)
His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks, 1939)
Jaws (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
Pretty Maids All in a Row (Roger Vadim, 1971)
Rolling Thunder (John Flynn, 1997)
Sorcerer (William Friedkin, 1977)
Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976)
I prove how lacking I am in some of the basics when I admit I've never seen Jaws or Taxi Driver, and I've only seen Carrie on TV with commercials. I mean that's gotta make a difference. I do have Jaws on DVD waiting for me to get around to it...

4 out of 12! Of course, none of these movies would be on a top-12 list if I were making the list.

6 comments:

  1. What an odd list,Apocalypse Now and Bad news Bears just don't seem right together, I guess it just shows Tarantino's eccentricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. idiosyncratic to say the least. i wonder if tarantino's favorite films might be a better description of the list than "greatest films of all time"

      Delete
  2. I count 3 on the list that I have seen. Some I've never even heard of.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm with you. i may look into them to see what i'm missing lol

      Delete
  3. Funny you posted this as Tarantino was in Lyon last week to receive and an award at the annual Lumiere Film Festival.

    Warning : If you open the link there will be music!

    http://www.festival-lumiere.org/main/en_GB/actualit%C3%A9s/quentin-tarantino-beautifully-closes-out-the-lumi%C3%A8re-festival%21.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds like he enjoys the festival atmosphere and being with the fans.

      Delete