Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a 1974 horror film directed by Tobe Hooper. This is my first time to see this. I was never a horror film fan, and slasher films are still my least favorite sub-genre. I'm trying to make my way through the older films I've missed, and The Elder Son loaned me his copy of this for that purpose. I think I've had his DVD for 2-3 years and am just now getting around to it. It's less gory than I expected. It's not converting me into a slasher fan, and I'm wondering if some of these movies need to be seen soon after their release to really "get" them. It's based on a true story.

I must say that watching Franju's Blood of the Beast first provided an interesting perspective.

trailer:



Moria says, "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre redefined horror by stripping it of all classical motive. The assaults in the film come without rhyme or reason." 1000 Misspent Hours closes with this: "taking in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is so discomfiting an experience that I’m not a bit surprised that many viewers come away with the impression that it is far more graphically violent than is actually the case." Slant Magazine gives it 4/4 stars and closes with this: "Hooper may well end up being remembered solely for Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the film that fully earns him a place alongside the greatest malaise-shredding horror mavericks." Empire Online calls it "Genuinely disturbing, even now." DVD Talk opens by describing it as "up there as one of the most influential horror movies of our time." Roger Ebert seems torn, calling it well done but without purpose "unless the creation of disgust and fright is a purpose." Rotten Tomatoes has a 91% critics score.

2 comments:

  1. I haven´t seen this - like you, I´m not a fan of such movies - but I remember that the name of this move was for a long time synonymous with "video-violence" as it was called in Sweden in the 80´s. Everyone has heard of it, but few have seen it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it implies a lot more violence than actually appears, but it's plenty violent.

      Delete