Sunday, May 25, 2014

Vance Park


Vance Park is a little park up on the bluff in downtown Memphis overlooking the Mississippi River. I love public art, and I think this one is well-placed:


Here's the sign at the base of the sculpture:


It says:

Whirl
2001
John Medwedeff
An original work owned and
commissioned by the City of Memphis,
through the Urban Art Commission, in
conjunction with the Riverfront
Development Corporation

The view of the river from here was obscured by the temporary fencing around the Memphis in May music venues when we were here, but it's usually a good spot to sit.

2 comments:

  1. Small parks like that are gems in cities. When I travel I always look them up, particularly if I am alone, since I am not a shopper. I love to sit and just look at people passing by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. people-watching is fun, i agree. this park is an easy walk from downtown hotels.

      Delete