Sunday, November 16, 2014

Alice (1988)

Alice is a 1988 claymation adaptation of Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. It's a very loose adaptation directed by Jan Švankmajer. I like this director's work, and this film is a treat. I will admit that, by the end, the "said the White Rabbit" narration by Alice was irritating me, but that's a minor quibble.

trailer:



Moria gives it 5 out of 5 stars, calling it a "work of bizarre genius". io9 calls it "The weirdest Alice in Wonderland movie ever made" and says, "It's an interesting experience for anyone familiar with the novel, but I certainly would not recommend it as an introduction to the story." The Telegraph says, "This Alice's glorious proliferation of magical transformations works like a charm on anyone who values the imagination". DVD Beaver says, "What the Czech animator Jan Svankmajer does in "Alice" seems more akin to alchemy than moviemaking. His is an art of dark conjuring, brought to life more by the wave of a wand than the slap of a clapper board." It has a critics score of 100% at Rotten Tomatoes.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it started out rather slow, and I nearly lost interest in the first five minutes or so. In the end, it was OK. I did agree that it's probably better if you know more about Alice In Wonderland than the person exposed to it for the first time.

    I visit a gal daily for AEDM. She interviews different people. I thought of you and Halle when I saw this gal who is into Cosplay. I just enjoyed the costumes, but you might actually know some of the characters the artist discussed:

    http://paulabuenosaires.com/2014/11/anam-stubbington-genius-cosplay-costumes/

    There are links to the artist's web site, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe of people who make their own cosplay or put together elaborate outfits. The most I've done is slight by comparison to what's in these photos. Wow! I want to try that No Face cosplay. So cool! Thx for the link :)

      Delete