Saturday, April 25, 2015

Devi (The Goddess)

Devi (The Goddess) is a 1960 Indian film directed by Satyajit Ray. I have enjoyed every film I've seen by this director. I watch them online when I find them and pick up DVDs when the local store has them. They are without exception beautiful films.

Here's a clip from the beginning to whet your appetite:


TimeOut says, "it manages to mount a lucid, finally very moving argument against the destructive nature of fanaticism and superstition... Without a doubt, it is impressive film making". The Guardian gives it 4 out of 5 stars and says it "boasts all the strengths of a consistent career" and "is a fine example of Ray's work and well worth seeing". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 100%.

I have seen these others by Satyajit Ray:

Charulata, or The Lonely Wife (1964)
Mahanagar (The Big City) (1963)
Kanchenjungha (1962)
The Apu Trilogy:
Pather Panchali (1955)
Aparajito (1956)
Apur Sansar (1959)

2 comments:

  1. As much as India interests me - food/fashion/color - I've never watched an Indian film. I'll have to see if I can find one.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can highly recommend this director. Some of his films are online.

      Delete