Sunday, May 24, 2015

Memphis Botanic Garden 2nd Annual Herbal Celebration


The Memphis Botanic Garden held their 2nd annual Herbal Celebration this past Friday. I went in time for the 11:00 speaker and was told I had missed my chance at a lot of the plants. It seems the plant sale sold out of a lot of their offerings soon after they opened at 10:00. Wow! I didn't know.


There were vendors set up in booths along the walkway selling handmade wooden items; body scrubs and bath salts; yard decorations; canned foods; and herbal remedies, soaps and skincare items. They had a lunch booth set up with chicken salad and such. There were 5 different speakers set up during the day covering uses of herbs and how to grow them. There was a guided tour through their herb garden:


It was a delightful day. I even found 2 of the plants I had hoped to find:


yarrow and purple coneflower. I'm already looking forward to next year.

6 comments:

  1. How lucky you were to find what you were looking for even though there seems to have been a queue already at 10! We are notoriously bad at going to these kind of things, even without my weird hours. When my sister still lived in town, she and her husband would drag me out to lots of markets and jumble sales. Sometimes, one can make amazing finds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next year I'll decide whether or not to go based on the speakers. This year's speakers seemed to assume I had acreage lol or at least room to till and plant rows of herbs and a desire to cook for and heal an extensive family with them. I have a patio and pots of herbs lol.and a desire to attract butterflies with them. ;) There'll really be no need for me to go if some people are going to show up before opening time and buy all they have of certain herbs. I did find the other herbs I wanted at Home Depot later that day, so it's not like the ones I wanted were rare.

      Delete
  2. It would be interesting to walk around and to hear about the various herbs. We grow the usual things like mint, rosemary, sage. Well, I should say DH grows them - I just stand back and admire his work. I think the idea of a butterfly garden in your patio is terrific. We are trying to put in a few plants that bees like as bees do so much work in the garden.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I planted bee balm last year on a whim, and the bees and butterflies like it so much I've put in a 2nd plant this year. They are fun to watch :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds and looks like YOUR herb day was far more successful than mine. I'm glad you were able to get some of the plants you were hoping for. At least it was well worth it, I'm sure. And the herb garden was beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a fun event and a beautiful day :) I am pleased at what I found and was able to find the other plants I wanted at Lowe's. Now if I could just find a red honeysuckle...

      Delete