Thursday, May 19, 2016

Django Unchained

Django Unchained is a modern addition to a long-standing string of movies with the word "Django" in the title. Except for having been inspired by the 1966 Sergio Corbucci film, I don't see a connection. But that's ok. Many of these films have nothing to do with each other. This Quentin Tarantino movie has been called an homage. I'm glad I saw it, both because I'm gradually working my way through the Django movies and because Tarantino is worth checking out. I won't see it again. For one thing, I like my Django films to be Spaghetti Westerns, and this is not anything I can classify.

trailer:



The New Yorker calls it a "crap masterpiece". The NYT says it's "crazily entertaining, brazenly irresponsible and also ethically serious in a way that is entirely consistent with its playfulness."

EW has a B- review. Rolling Stone says, "Welcome to alternative History 101 with Professor Quentin Tarantino" and closes with this: "Wake up, people. Tarantino lives to cross the line. Is Django Unchained too much? Damn straight. It wouldn't be Tarantino otherwise."

Empire Online gives it a good review and says, "Django Unchained isn’t a Western. Tarantino himself has said, if anything, it should be tagged a ‘Southern’" and concludes:
Another strong, sparky and bloody entry in the QT canon. Although, creaking under its running time, it’s not quite as uproariously entertaining as his last pseudo-historical adventure, Inglourious Basterds.
Roger Ebert gave it a full 4 stars and calls Tarantino "a consummate filmmaker." Rotten Tomatoes has a critics rating of 88%.

4 comments:

  1. It only took blogger about 20 hours to update your blog. I admit, I'm a bit sick. I'm a HUGE Tarantino fan. There aren't too many who can pull off blood and guts as easily and gracefully as Tarantino. Like I said, I'm a bit sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will never be my favorite Tarantino film, but I'm glad I've seen it. The Django connection is still a bit confusing for me, but then Django has a history of not being connected to other Django movies lol

      Delete
  2. This was one crazy movie--yes! But that is what you expect from Tarantino.
    Have you seen The Hateful Eight yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to see Hateful 8 in the theater but just didn't somehow. I'll be looking for it at the DVD store. Have you seen it? What did you think?

      Delete