Sunday, March 26, 2017

Hello Holland: 230,000 Tulips at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens


The Dixon Gallery and Gardens has an annual tulip display that just takes my breath away. This is the walk up to the entry to the gardens:


Tulips aren't my favorite flower (I'm more a sunflower and daisy gal), but WOW!





There are plenty of chairs and benches placed throughout the gardens.


There are tulips planted in every area of the gardens during this season.





There is a new piece of art displayed near the entrance to the main gallery building:


Isn't that delightful? It is Smooth Egg with Bow (Magenta/Violet) by Jeff Koons. Wikipedia says, "His Balloon Dog (Red) sculpture was one of the artworks brought to life in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian." The Memphis Flyer says, "He currently holds the word record auction price for a living artist. Balloon Dog (Orange) sold at Christie’s Auction house in New York City in 2013 for $58.4 million." I can't think of a more suitable work to display here. It brightened up my day to see it, and I saw it after I'd already seen those gorgeous tulips!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I am more a sunflower, daisy or rose lady but you are right, these garden views are gorgeous. I think it was worth the visit. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are always worth visiting :) The tulips do draw folks, but the weather this time of year doesn't hurt attendance either ;)

      Delete
  2. I was just noticing how many tulips are in bloom in my neighbors' yards, but mine are not up and out yet. I'm in awe of these gorgeous tulips, and I can only imagine how beautiful they are from your photos. I love the different color combinations, and how they seemed to go with the accompanying statues and sculptures. Someone has a great eye. And so do you with all your fabulous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's time like these I wish I was a professional photographer, but I'm just gonna hafta make due with my phone camera. The tulips are truly stunning, and we don't have any in our complex.

      Delete