Monday, August 14, 2017

Death Week


Here in Memphis we are in the middle of Death Week, as the anniversary week of Elvis Presley's death is popularly known. There are a lot of activities in town for the observance, and there are always an increased number of tourists. Graceland has a full schedule. The Memphis Travel site has suggestions. If you can't come to Memphis in person, Graceland offers virtual tours of the mansion exterior, the mansion foyer, and the Jungle Room. You can take a virtual tour of Sun Studio, where Elvis was first recorded.

The actual date of his death (well, if you believe he's dead. Not everyone buys into that view.) is August 16. This year is the 40th anniversary. Take a moment on the day, if you will, and remember Elvis. He was only 42 years old when he died.

If you want to watch a movie, I'd recommend my favorite King Creole, directed by Michael Curtiz and also starring Carolyn Jones, Walter Matthau, Dean Jagger, and Vic Morrow. The film got good reviews and is still well thought of. You can rent it for $2.99. Here's a trailer:



Another one of his best films is Flaming Star with Barbara Eden. He plays the son of a Kiowa mother and a Texas rancher father. You can rent it for $2.99. Here's the trailer:



Elvis could actually act, but his string-songs-together movies did better at the box office so there tended to be pressure to keep putting out more of them.

You can pass on the movies if you like and just listen to his music instead.

If I Can Dream:



That's All Right (Mama):



Heartbreak Hotel, my personal favorite:



It's not that I've been a particularly ardent fan of Elvis, but this is Memphis after all. I'm showing respect.







6 comments:

  1. Trying to play catch up here. Sorry I'm so late visiting. I'm sure by now you know I wasn't a huge fan of Elvis, but the older I get, the more I appreciate his music. Guess I'm mellowing. I'm sure I've never heard of Death Week before, though. I'm sure most of Memphis will be out celebrating and honoring him. Thanks for the various references and the photo, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The events during this week are mainly for tourists, I think. People come from all over the world. People-watching on Beale Street is great!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know there was a death week, either. Makes sense for Memphis, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graceland has a full schedule of special events for the weeks of his birth and death both. They've just built a fancy new hotel there. His popularity still draws tourists from all over.

      Delete
  3. I love Elvis and often listen to his songs when I'm crafting ๐Ÿ˜. I enjoyed visiting Graceland too and have been there a few times, it has given a whole new meaning to the song "Welcome to my world" ๐Ÿ˜. I love your wonderful tribute to Elvis and can happily listen to "If I can dream" all day ... lol ๐Ÿ˜‰. Have a great week! J ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are people who come every year. I've only "done" Graceland once, but it was well worth it. I wish he had lived long enough to move past his health issues :(

      Delete