Saturday, September 09, 2017

They Were Expendable

They Were Expendable is a 1945 Academy Award-nominated war film directed by John Ford and starring Robert Montgomery, John Wayne, Donna Reed, Ward Bond, and Cameron Mitchell. I don't really care for war movies and watched this for Cameron Mitchell, but I dare say if war movies are your thing you'll like this one. I mean how can you go wrong with that director and cast?

part 1:



part 2:



part 3:



The NYT at the time of its release called it "a stirring picture of a small but vital aspect of the war and ... it is a moving remembrance of things past". DVD Talk concludes, "They Were Expendable gives you John Wayne, John Ford in a World War II movie, so in and of itself it should be something on your watch list. But it goes a little deeper and a little more nuanced in the component of the war that they tell the story about". Rotten Tomatoes has a critics score of 89%.



4 comments:

  1. Not a John Wayne fan, so would probably skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, plus I don't like war movies lol. I watched it just to see Cameron Mitchell.

      Delete
  2. My hubby likes war films so will check this one out, thanks for the review 😁. Wishing you a Happy Sunday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete