Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Repairer of Reputations

The Repairer of Reputations is an 1895 story by Robert W. Chambers. It is one in a collection of stories, The King in Yellow. Excerpt:
I had walked down that day from Dr. Archer's house on Madison Avenue, where I had been as a mere formality. Ever since that fall from my horse, four years before, I had been troubled at times with pains in the back of my head and neck, but now for months they had been absent, and the doctor sent me away that day saying there was nothing more to be cured in me. It was hardly worth his fee to be told that; I knew it myself. Still I did not grudge him the money. What I minded was the mistake which he made at first. When they picked me up from the pavement where I lay unconscious, and somebody had mercifully sent a bullet through my horse's head, I was carried to Dr. Archer, and he, pronouncing my brain affected, placed me in his private asylum where I was obliged to endure treatment for insanity. At last he decided that I was well, and I, knowing that my mind had always been as sound as his, if not sounder, "paid my tuition" as he jokingly called it, and left. I told him, smiling, that I would get even with him for his mistake, and he laughed heartily, and asked me to call once in a while. I did so, hoping for a chance to even up accounts, but he gave me none, and I told him I would wait.
You can read the story online here. You can hear it here:

5 comments:

  1. Already I'm intrigued. This sounds fabulous. I'm off to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always intrigued with stories that involve insane asylums for some reason...

      Delete
  2. Too bad Wilde didn't live long enough to repair Hildred's reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not heard this one before. When it is raining tomorrow I will give it a listen. I do like how these OLD stories portray horror since I am not so much a blood and guts kind of gal-well at least in stories. I do have a biology degree so I guess saying that isn't totally true. :) Happy Saturday. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the older ones creep up on you more, I think.

      Delete