Friday, November 03, 2017

Benny & Joon

Benny & Joon is a 1993 romantic comedy starring Johnny Depp, Mary Stuart Masterson, Aidan Quinn, Julianne Moore, Oliver Platt, C.C.H. Pounder, Dan Hedaya, Joe Grifasi, and William H. Macy. What a sweet, delightful, endearing film! The cast is wonderful, and the characters feel real. I loved this movie and can't recommend it highly enough.

trailer:


The New York Times has a positive review. Rolling Stone doesn't like it.

Empire Online says, "at the core of its misfits-need-love-too storyline lies a warmhearted charm so captivating that only the most hardened cynic will fail to be enchanted." Roger Ebert gives it 3 out of 4 stars and says, "The story wants to be about love, but is also about madness, and somehow it weaves the two together with a charm that would probably not be quite so easy in real life." Rotten Tomatoes has an audience score of 85%.

10 comments:

  1. This is a charming film and a great 'feel good' movie 😁. Its been so long since I've seen this one I think I'll have to watch it again now ...lol 😉. Thanks for the reminder and wishing you a happy November! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy November :) I kept this DVD to re-watch. "Feel good" movie, yes!

      Delete
  2. I've never seen this, but I like every one of the actors in the movie, so I might like it, even though it sounds a bit like a chick flick to me (grin). Thanks for the positive review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't generally like chick flicks either, but I like Depp in his early career and that's what drew me to this one.

      Delete
  3. OMGosh! Saw this so long ago. I remember it was sweet. Watched it because of Johnny Depp. I watch everything with Depp and Christopher Walken even though they are both sometimes in the strangest movies. I love that they aren't afraid to try anything at all in roles, don't seem to lose their sense of humor about themselves, throw themselves into the parts and have a great time--even when the movies aren't that good--LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lately -since the pirates movies- I fee like Depp too often plays Captain Jack in any part he's cast in lol. I'm tired of that character. I do appreciate the attempt to branch out into something different. I like it when I see movies and actors that take those chances.

      Delete
  4. you know, i have not watched this..I'm thinking that I should give it a try.
    I see it on sometimes, next time I'll watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never seen it. I just happened across a used copy and saw Depp's name. I'm glad I tried it.

      Delete
  5. I remember this film. I tend to watch Johnny Depp films, last night I watched his Finding NeverLand. Not as original as Benny and Joon though. He seems to find interesting scripts for sure. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for Finding Neverland. I've never seen that one, though now that you mention it I remember when it was released. Thx!

      Delete