Sunday, November 19, 2017

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

Murder on the Orient Express is a 2017 adaptation of the Agatha Christie mystery novel. It's directed by Kenneth Branagh and Branagh plays Hercule Poirot. Also starring are Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, and Daisy Ridley. I went in fully prepared to despise this, but I liked it. You could argue that David Suchet is definitive and that we don't need more remakes and adaptations, but I'm happy to find this enjoyable. Ignore those nay-saying reviewers; I certainly am. I hope this is the first in a series.

And please don't let the mustache distract you, for pity's sake.

trailer:



The New York Times has a mixed review and says there are "few surprises". Really? Isn't that a good thing for an adaptation of a well-known story?

Common Sense Media calls it a "Colorful, thoughtful, classical mystery". Empire Online calls it "An enjoyable journey with a stellar cast".

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you liked this film. I've wondered about it and worried it would be a disaster, especially with all the press it was getting. I enjoy Agatha Christie stories and it's quite the cast. Thanks for the review. :) Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt going in. Worried it would be a disaster. I'm never doubting Branagh again :)

      Delete
  2. I liked the trailer and it's a great cast! My friend went to see this at the cinema last week and thoroughly enjoyed it 😁. Thanks for the recommendation and Happy Sunday! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad your friend like it! Sometimes I think professional reviewers are watching a different movie than the rest of us ;)

      Delete
  3. If it follows the book exactly, we who have read the book know exactly who the murderer is. I won't add anything to that statement in case anyone hasn't read the book. When I first saw the trailer, I was excited. I really want to see this one, because it is definitely one I think I'd enjoy. The cast of characters is on the A list, that's for sure. However, I have to agree with you and I personally believe that David Suchet is definitely my choice for Hercule Poirot. Somehow I don't see Branagh in the part, but I will reserve judgment. Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't see Branagh in the part at all either. But now I can :) I hope you like it.

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic cast! Glad to hear you liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you like it. People I know who've seen it like it, so the professional reviewers may just be out of touch or maybe not looking for the same thing the general audience is.

      Delete