Friday, February 16, 2018

Black Moon

image from Wikipedia

One of the definitions of Black Moon is a month without a full moon. This can only occur in a February and only occurs about every 20 years. This month will be the last time until 2037. So get out there and look at that -oh, wait, you can't actually see the absence of a full moon. But there'll be two full moons in March, the second half of a Double Blue Moon, so you can have twice the full moon joy next month to make up for it.

This short video demonstrates the moon phases:


I had never heard of this month-with-no-full-moon occurrence until this month when it's happened twice before during my lifetime. It truly is the case that I learn something new every day!

12 comments:

  1. AH, we had a blue moon in January, so it stands to reason we will have another in March. I, too, had never heard of this event, but am so glad you clarified it for me. I also learned something new today, as I do most days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always noticed the Blue Moons but had never really thought about February sometimes not having one at all.

      Delete
  2. Oh wait something from science class is niggling at me ... & somewhere I have a list of what the Native population calls each of the moons. We didn't see the lunar eclipse last night, so very foggy. Thanks for sharing the moon phases demo & ensuring we all have at least one new thing to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remember that January is the Wolf Moon and September is the Harvest Moon, but I forget the others. It's been raining forever here, so we're not seeing the moon at all lately :(

      Delete
  3. how weird!! I'll be sure to share this video with Helena..thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there was no full moon this month but I didn't know it had a name. Black moon. Nice name. Glad you shared ! HHugs-Erika (oh and Happy weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess since the term Black Moon refers to more than one kind of event and because it happens so seldom the name never caught on.

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of this, either. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My younger son told me about it. I love finding out stuff like this :)

      Delete
  6. Fascinating! Thanks so much for sharing this, I really enjoyed reading and seeing all the information you shared 😁. I'm off to share all this with my hubby now ...lol 😉. Wishing you a happy new week! J 😊
    p.s. thanks for your lovely comments on my blog too! J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a kick out of learning about this, especially since it'll be 20 years before there's another one.

      Delete